UI Designer / Front End Developer
We are looking for a 'UI Designer/Front End Developer' to join the Catalpa team as part of an exciting phase of growth for the organisation. You’ll work in a talented and interdisciplinary design team, with a strong creative culture, and help us deliver high impact work that seeks to address international development challenges.
This position is ideal for someone who thrives in a creative environment, loves building amazing applications that are simple to use and nice to look at, and believes in the potential of design to address development challenges.
In this role you will be working at the intersection of technology and design, working with teams from concept ideation all the way to prototyping and front end development.
SOME PREVIOUS PROJECTS TO CHECK OUT:
Liga Inan: In Timor-Leste Catalpa is using mobile technology to better connect expectant mothers to health providers. An evaluation found that children of participating women are more than 5 times more likely to be checked by health professionals than children from non- participating mothers.
Mohinga: In Myanmar Catalpa is working to improve the management and transparency of aid flows with the Ministry of Finance and Planning. Mohinga is an open data platform that allows development partners to report aid activities, spending and results in a simple and intuitive manner.
Hamutuk: Hamutuk is a multi-sector nutrition program delivered in partnership with the Australian Government and InnovationXchange. Catalpa is developing a mobile and online platform to improve co-ordination and targeting.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
You are passionate about social progress and design. You love designing applications that inspire others, and create impact. You are an expert in your field, and you would like to work for an organisation that does great things that help people in developing countries. You also meet most (if not more) of the following requirements:
- Strong portfolio and sense of design: You have professional experience in user interface design, strong information visualization skills, and prototyping skills.
- User centered perspective: You understand and can articulate a human-centered approach to design and be comfortable going out into the world for inspiration.
- Prototyping skills: You are ready to try and introduce new tools, learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success come sooner with trial and error. Your first inclination is always to build a prototype.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of interaction design deliverables.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills.
- Consulting Chops: You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into visual concepts, through design development and refinement, to creating production-ready artwork.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded, especially working in a start-up office and a developing country context.
- Competitive salary
- Medical insurance
- 20 days of paid time off, plus two week Christmas break
- Relocation package
- 13 weeks paid maternity leave, 4 weeks paid paternity leave
If you're interested, we'd love to hear from you! Women are especially encouraged to apply. Please send your application by email to email@example.com with a cover letter, CV and a statement of claims against the qualifications and experience criteria. Also, please share your Github repos, blog and/or website, and 3 projects that best represent your capabilities and interests.
Applications close on 31 March 2017.
A few things to note:
- We can only accept applications by email. If it takes us a while to respond we're apologise in advance and we will eventually get back to you to let you know whether you've made it through to the next stage;
- If you can, send your CV and cover letter as a single PDF document;
Please don't include copies of certificates or qualifications with your application, if we
need these we'll ask you for them later.
For further enquiries or questions regarding this position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘UI Designer/Front End Developer' in the subject line of the email.
Catalpa is an organisation specialised in innovative solutions for improving service delivery in developing countries. We have sector development experts working together with a team of designers and software engineers to craft unique solutions to old problems. Catalpa was founded with the purpose of implementing initiatives that enable people to reach their individual potential. We try to intersect the challenges of international development with the possibilities of human-centred design, modern technology and innovation. Catalpa’s work has included partnerships with the Government of Timor-Leste, the Government of Myanmar, the Government of Uzbekistan, the Government of Australia along with multilateral and bilateral development partners such as DFAT, ILO, FAO, UNICEF, WHO, USAID, UNDP, European Union, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Latest from the webjobs by
Research Data SpecialistUniversity of VirginiaCharlottesville, VA7 Mar
Entry Level Software EngineerLaunchCodeSeattle, WA24 Mar
Entry Level Software EngineerLaunchCodeProvidence, RI24 Mar
Entry Level Software EngineerLaunchCodePortland, OR24 Mar
Entry Level Software EngineerLaunchCodeKansas City, MO24 Mar